Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Day 4

Location: River Valley Campground - near NC and Tenn. border

Total miles traveled: 1228


The trip to Great Smoky Mountains National Park from Portsmouth, VA took a bit longer than expected. I left Chris' apartment around 7:30 this morning, and I didn't get in the vicinity of the park until about 6pm. Granted, I made some stops along the way...one of which included a little nap at a rest area. Also, the weather wasn't the best; there was intermittent rain across the North Carolina. But it was easy to tell when I was getting the close - the Smoky Mountains loomed big ahead traveling west on I40...these are much bigger hills than you'd see in Broome County. I just wish it wasn't as cloudy and hazy as it was.

Having already traveled over 1000 miles, I also checked my oil at the rest stop and everything with the car seems to be going well. To you naysayers: the Green Goblin has held up incredibly, and I expect her to do so for the rest of the trip.

Since I didn't get here until early evening, I figured it would be a good idea to save some exploring of the park until tomorrow morning, and set up for the night somewhere. I saw a sign for a KOA (Kampgrounds of America) campground and I followed the directions to it. Being a proud KOA Value Card holder, it would be a cheap place to pitch my tent and relax. However, the campground was full for the holiday, but I found another one, River Valley, just down the road.

So here I am now, in my tent, relaxing and getting set to take a nap (thanks to Darren back home for helping me with the purchase of camping gear). I don't know if there's any place in the area setting off fireworks, but I'm pretty beat so I don't see myself leaving. I'll spend the night here, wake up early, and head over to the park to do some hiking. From there, on towards Huntsville, Alabama. Hope everyone has a fun holiday.


Yes, I set that up all by myself

As I was just getting here, I received some bad news from back home - my housemates' father died today, in Maine. Please keep Joe and Don in your thoughts, as well as the rest of the Hashey family as they head up there for their dad's burial.

Joe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

view my guestbook | sign my guestbook
get your free guestbook
Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counter